[legal-discuss] Incorporating MIT licensed code

Van Lindberg van.lindberg at rackspace.com
Tue Sep 8 15:00:44 UTC 2015

Your proposed solution works.

- Van

From: Major Hayden <major.hayden at rackspace.com<mailto:major.hayden at rackspace.com>>
Date: Tuesday, September 8, 2015 at 9:59 AM
To: "legal-discuss at lists.openstack.org<mailto:legal-discuss at lists.openstack.org>" <legal-discuss at lists.openstack.org<mailto:legal-discuss at lists.openstack.org>>
Subject: [legal-discuss] Incorporating MIT licensed code

Hello there,

I just reviewed the Legal Issues FAQ[1], but I have some more specific questions around adding MIT licensed code to an OpenStack project that has traditionally been Apache licensed.  I've already ensured that the file in question has the appropriate header and copyright details, but I'm unsure about how to handle the root LICENSE file within the repository.

The FAQ mentions:

  Probably the easiest thing to do when incorporating BSD or MIT licensed code is to copy the copyright/license header from the source file into the destination file, as well as copying the copyright notice, license and disclaimer into the toplevel LICENSE file with a brief explanation of which code is under that license.

Should I put a divider in the LICENSE file and paste in the MIT license details after that?  This may be a silly question (please let me know if it is), but I wanted to make sure I was following the legal instructions very carefully.

Thank you!

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/LegalIssuesFAQ

--
Major Hayden