[legal-discuss] StackForge and IP.

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed May 6 21:43:37 UTC 2015

On 2015-05-06 17:21:09 -0400 (-0400), Richard Fontana wrote:
[...]
> The issue is touched upon here
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/OpenStackAndItsCLA#Relationship_to_the_Apache_License
> (That is a wiki page I worked on with markmc last year. It is
> admittedly a piece of advocacy and contains some assertions that have
> been disputed by at least one person.)
[...]

Thanks again--I had indeed forgotten there was some additional
explanation of the differences in that article. It's still vague
insofar as it states that the OpenStack ICLA is structured in a way
so as to not place "certain conditions" on the OpenStack Foundation
(as compared to a basic grant of the contribution to them under the
Apache License) but doesn't indicate what those omitted conditions
are. It also mentions additional "legal burdens" on OpenStack
contributors without enumerating them. Ultimately I worry that
pointing someone there will raise more questions than it answers. I
could guess at them, based on a lay reading of the agreement, but
perhaps that's the intent of the article after all.

Probably my greatest confusion is whether these differences over the
Apache License have actually been leveraged to date, or are so far
merely unexercised. The way in which the OpenStack Foundation
"releases" OpenStack software hasn't (yet!) seemed contradictory to
typical methods used by other software projects with similar
licenses and no CLA.
--
Jeremy Stanley