[legal-discuss] [Openstack-docs] Licensing of documentation

Richard Fontana rfontana at redhat.com
Tue Mar 17 03:10:06 UTC 2015

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 08:51:47PM -0500, Anne Gentle wrote:
[...]
> The mechanics of why that text appears: the clouddocs-maven-plugin continues to
> have that license when the pom.xml file has it set at build time.
>
> The reason that text hasn't changed: Since we don't have governance in place
> that indicates to a contributor that their content is licensed in a particular
> way, we have continued to have both licenses on the docs. Until the tie-in
> between gerrit and Foundation license agreement is resolved, we have not had a
> clear way forward. That bug is logged here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/
> openstack-ci/+bug/1311665
>
> The new RST/sphinx web design has only CC-By indicator on each page though, so
> we need to get resolution.
>
> Thanks for bringing it up.
>
> Richard, do you have any ideas for next steps for the bug, described as:
>

> Currently, both the documentation (e.g. [1] [2]) and our tools enforce having
> to join the Foundation before being allowed to submit a patch to OpenStack.
> However from a recent discussion on the legal list [3] it appears that there is
> no basis for this:
>
> "ATC is defined to require someone to be an Individual Member, but ATC is
> concerned with voting for the Technical Committee, it does not restrict
> contributions. Anyone, member or non-member, can submit a contribution if they
> have signed the relevant CLA."
>
> It would be awesome if we could make "joining the foundation" optional,
> something that people do if they want to. It would remove one barrier to making
> contributions, especially in the context of drive-by/volunteer contributors.

Hi,

I think as Jeremy Stanley said in his comment, and also based on some
of the other discussion about this issue last year, this has to be
worked out between the Foundation and the TC. It didn't seem as
though anyone believed there was any need for a 'contributors must
join the Foundation' requirement apart from the implementation of the
'ATC must be an Individual Member' requirement.

Richard