[legal-discuss] Licensing options for new project (Kolla) entering big tent

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Jul 9 21:07:42 UTC 2015

On 2015-07-09 16:34:47 -0400 (-0400), Richard Fontana wrote:
[...]
> Or is the concern that a (say) GPL-licensed project might have had
> a pre-OpenStack history including contributions from individuals
> or entities that are not CLA signatories?
[...]

Perhaps a slight variation on this. One work can be a derivative of
another copyleft-licensed work and (at least if the copylefted
work's authors can't be found or don't all agree to
dual-licensing/explicit exceptions) may be bound to the same license
or some license whose terms are a superset of the inherited license.

We don't want to discourage people within our community from
properly leveraging and extending existing free software whose
provenance was not within our community. We create enough
NIH/reinvented-wheel problems throughout the greater free software
landscape as it is, and telling a team that they need to rewrite
some base framework from scratch (because their work might be
considered a derivative and therefore not Apache licensed) is just
that.

[DISCLAIMER: I am most definitely not a lawyer!]
--
Jeremy Stanley