[legal-discuss] [Horizon] Licensing issue with using JSHint in build

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Wed Sep 10 18:51:16 UTC 2014

On 09/10/2014 11:32 AM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2014-09-10 11:14:26 -0700 (-0700), Monty Taylor wrote:
> [...]
>> However, I am not a lawyer, and reasonable people disagree with my
>> views.
>
> I mostly agree with your views (which probably makes me
> unreasonable). My bigger concern is that we are unlikely to
> convince, say, Debian to reconsider their position on the
> non-freeness of the license nor on their desire to be able to
> rebuild OpenStack components they distribute, so in effect requiring
> JSHint for generating or running parts of Horizon effectively means
> we are sending the signal we no longer want Debian to carry Horizon.

I do not care if Debian re-runs our code style checks. I think as long
as we don't run jshint inside of the unittest runs - but instead run it
as a separate job like we do with pep8, then I think Debian legal's POV
on this is irrelevant. I _do_ agree that if it were a part of actual
build or test pipeline that we should avoid it for that reason.

> In this case, though, I think the subject line/problem description
> is misleading. Digging deeper into the current state of Horizon it
> appears that JSHint is only a recommended tool for developers and
> one we also call in automated code style checks[1]. As long as it's
> not actually required to reproduce a usable version of Horizon from
> source and run it then I don't think there's likely to be any actual
> problem.

I think we should run it as part of horizon's pep8 job, because that's
what we do around here. And I don't think that should prevent debian
from doing anything.