[legal-discuss] [openstack-dev] [Marconi] Why is marconi a queue implementation vs a provisioning API?

Van Lindberg van.lindberg at rackspace.com
Thu Mar 20 13:31:51 UTC 2014

  On 3/20/14, 8:22 AM, Richard Fontana wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 08:22:12AM +0000, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
>> I'm no fan (personally) of AGPLv3, but taking a stance that there must
>> be a way of deploying OpenStack in production without requiring any
>> AGPLv3 code to be deployed is a significant policy decision for the
>> project and I don't think we've ever articulated the reasons clearly for
>> it.
> Such a policy would be unprecedented for any Apache License 2.0
> project as far as I am aware. For comparisons look at the legal
> policies of the Apache Software Foundation, which don't go this far.

Such a policy needs to be made on a project-by-project basis, as well,
especially w/r/t AGPL code. MongoDB/10Gen has communicated very clearly
where they consider their copyright boundary to exist, and I believe
that legally that functions as a waiver/license if they would ever end
up being wrong (which I don't think they would, as I believe a network
communication creates a copyright boundary).

Thanks,
Van