[legal-discuss] [openstack-dev] [Marconi] Why is marconi a queue implementation vs a provisioning API?

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Thu Mar 20 07:47:13 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-03-20 at 05:30 +0000, Radcliffe, Mark wrote:
>  At a minimum, the inclusion of APLv3 code means that the OpenStack
> Project is no longer solely an Apache v2 licensed project because
> AGPLv3 code cannot be licensed under Apache v. 2 License.  Moreover,
> the inclusion of such code is inconsistent with the current CLA
> provisions.
>
> This code can be included but it is an important decision that should
> be made carefully.

The inclusion of AGPLv3 code is not in question here. As Kevin puts it:

  "The drivers that Marconi uses are Apache2 licensed, MongoDB is
   separated by the network stack and MongoDB is not exposed to the
   Marconi users so I don't think the 'A' part of the GPL really kicks
   in at all"

As best I can tell, we're really talking about how seriously OpenStack
should take users potentially being concerned about deploying *any*
AGPLv3 code in their infrastructure.

Mark.