[legal-discuss] [openstack-dev] [Marconi] Why is marconi a queue implementation vs a provisioning API?

Fox, Kevin M Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov
Wed Mar 19 21:38:53 UTC 2014

Its my understanding that the only case the A in the AGPL would kick in is if the cloud provider made a change to MongoDB and exposed the MongoDB instance to users. Then the users would have to be able to download the changed code. Since Marconi's in front, the user is Marconi, and wouldn't ever want to download the source. As far as I can tell, in this use case, the AGPL'ed MongoDB is not really any different then the GPL'ed MySQL in footprint here. MySQL is acceptable, so why isn't MongoDB?

It would be good to get legal's official take on this. It would be a shame to make major architectural decisions based on license assumptions that turn out not to be true. I'm cc-ing them.

Thanks,
Kevin