[legal-discuss] Copyright statements in source

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed Jan 22 13:35:35 UTC 2014

On 01/22/2014 06:27 AM, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> [...]
>> and that's the extent of the licenses it is granting in to that
>> project. A copyright notice from Red Hat in Apache Camel would violate
>> ASF standards but would be accurate. A Red Hat copyright notice
>> immediately followed by an Apache License grant would be inaccurate,
>> because the Apache License isn't coming from Red Hat; it's coming
>> (mostly) from the ASF.
>>
>> To understand my point here, look at any other project that uses CLAs,
>> and you will see that there are no contributor copyright notices other
>> than, in some cases, copyright notices from the main CLA licensee
>> (here the OpenStack Foundation). OpenStack is the only exception I'm
>> aware of, and I believe the rationale for having such contributor
>> copyright notices at all is to make visible that, separate from the
>> CLA, direct Apache License grants are being made by CLA signers.
>
> Ok, wow - I never understood that most CLA-using projects don't have
> individual per-file copyright notices.
>
>> Your proposal is one visible way to cease the practice of duplicative
>> licensing. However, OpenStack developers and fellow travelers who have
>> criticized the CLA regime won't like this, because it signifies full
>> reliance on the CLA regime.
>
> This sort of stuff struggles to be seen as a priority issue amongst our
> contributors IMHO.
>
> The issue of copyright notices became a hot topic purely because
> developers were frustrated when their patches were -1ed for copyright
> notice nitpicks. This was seen as a waste of time signifying (I guess)
> that they generally are not seen as important. Your description of their
> significance (i.e. as a direct license grant) could change that
> slightly.
>
> The issue of our CLA regime is grumbled about regularly but, since it's
> a pretty low friction process, so there's little urgency around it.
>
> I came across one sad/unhappy developer outside the developer lounge in
> Hong Kong who had been refused access because he's not an ATC. Although
> he has contributed some small fixes via other people and would
> contribute more, he (quietly) refuses to sign the CLA even though he
> fully understands the terms of the CLA. My understanding is he rejects
> the notion that he needs to enter into an agreement with the foundation
> in order to be able to contribute code.
>

> I think it's time we stepped back and considered all the angles here -
> not just "drop the CLA", "delete the copyright notices". What do we (the
> project) want? What are our values?
>
> I'd suggest:
>
>   - We want to be able to distribute OpenStack under the Apache License
>     v2, so:
>      - All code to the project must be contributed under the ALv2
>      - We can incorporate BSD/MIT licensed code from other projects
>      - We can use LGPL, BSD, MIT, etc. licensed libraries; currently,
>        we're being conservative and not using GPL/AGPL libraries

+1. I think OpenStack shared culture believes in all those things. I'd
go as far as saying "we hold these truths to be self evident..."

>   - There is no need for contributors to grant the foundation a special
>     license.
>
>   - We copy the kernel's Signed-off-by/DCO method of having all
>     developers who contribute to a patch state they have the right to
>     contribute the patch under ALv2
>
>   - We consolidate all copyright notices into a single "copyright
>     multiple authors" notice above the ALv2 header, making it clear the
>     code is directly licensed by the authors under ALv2 without the
>     foundation acting as an intermediary
>
> This is just a strawman idea to draw some comments. What am I missing?

Honestly, I'd be happy with all that.

I think the technical implementation with our toolchain to enforce
something like that would be pretty easy. (We're actually really good at
encoding policy into code once we've agreed on the policy.)

I think this all just hinges on who can make that policy decision. I
feel like past discussions here largely fell apart on the fact that
there was neither a clear concensus (at least not at the TC level), nor
a clear decision making authority on it.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net