[legal-discuss] Trivial contributions and CLAs

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Wed Apr 23 06:36:14 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-04-22 at 20:57 -0500, Alice King wrote:
> I think the Executive Director would make the call, and would probably want
> the advice of legal counsel.  I want to stress that I am talking only about
> exceptional cases.  The Board can set parameters for the ED and can set them
> as conservatively as they think wise. In any domain the application of rules
> with human judgment can lead to unintended and unwanted results.  The
> Foundation does not have a judiciary, but the Bylaws do contemplate the ED
> having this type of discretion on intellectual property matters.

A process whereby the project's lead developers must ask for permission
from the ED in order to accept these sort of contributions wouldn't be
much less intolerable than the current situation IMO.

The goal here should be to eliminate any such friction so that we can
encourage these types of contributions from the wider operators
community.

Mark.