[legal-discuss] Trivial contributions and CLAs

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Tue Apr 22 15:08:27 UTC 2014

On 22/04/14 22:53, Radcliffe, Mark wrote:
> Why can't they sign the CLA?  IBM and HP are very sensitive to their IP and they have signed it.

This may be completely irrelevant, but I just feel like noting that IBM
and HP also have in-house counsel, who can probably look at these things
:) It's probably also worth their while, given the scale of their
contributions.

However, picture a much smaller organisation. One without a lawyer on tap.

Picture a system administrator, having discovered a small flaw in
OpenStack, and having goodwill to want to work with the community.

What happens in this case?

Three theories:
- sysadmin asks the manager to sign the corporate CLA, who balks at the
legalese, and weighs up whether it's worth forking out x-hundred per
hour for the external counsel to merely entertain their star sysadmin's
pet project
- sysadmin just signs CLA without approval from anyone in the organisation
- sysadmin gives up, assuming manager won't approve

It's late, and I may be missing several other potential outcomes to this
case, but these seem like poor outcomes, which are plausibly happening
more frequently than we record.

We really want to encourage these kind of users to contribute, and I
don't think the big problem is being sensitive to IP.

Regards,

Tom