[legal-discuss] Copyrights and License Headers in source files

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue May 21 12:29:18 UTC 2013

Richard Fontana wrote:
> So when I said that I had a couple of reasons to justify what Thierry
> wished to do, I had misunderstood what was desired (not having read
> the thread on openstack-dev), but now that I think I understand it
> correctly, one of that couple of reasons is still relevant, namely
> that the OpenStack CLA gives the OpenStack Foundation the power to
> remove contributors' copyright notices, assuming the contributor has
> signed the OpenStack CLA.

To clarify, the question is: can we remove the copyright lines from the
file headers and move them to a NOTICE file without the formal approval
of the entity mentioned in the copyright line (i.e. as long as they
don't object by $DATE, we consider that they consent).

So it's not exactly removing the notices, and we would not do it if the
affected entity formally objected to it. The reason I'm asking is that
it seems to be the only practical way to operate, since some entities
already declared that they agree with it only if *all* copyright notices
are moved.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)