[legal-discuss] [openstack-tc] Copyrights and License Headers in source files

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Tue May 14 21:38:18 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-05-14 at 16:19 -0500, Mark Brown wrote:
> Richard Fontana <rfontana at redhat.com> wrote on 05/14/2013 04:03:19 PM:
> > Re: [legal-discuss] [openstack-tc] Copyrights and License Headers in
> > source files
>
> > > Mostly, I wanted to suggest that a lawyer needs to advise us on this.
> > > The Foundation is our go-to place for legal help, is it not?
> >
> > That is a very interesting question, as phrased, but I'd say the
> > answer is no.
>
> No offense intended, Richard, honest! -- I'm just curious on what
> they (OpenStack Foundation as organized) would say on the topic, if
> they have a say at all.

The way I think about it is that Foundation employees, the Foundation's
legal counsel, members of the Legal Affairs Committee etc. are all
genuinely very welcome to give their perspective on issues like this.
That's what this mailing list is for. The project wants help from anyone
who can give it.

However, ultimately the project itself will have to come to a rough
consensus position on this based on everyone's input and act upon that.

The way you phrased your question suggests the project should explicitly
ask the Foundation for legal advice, then stop and wait until their
counsel replies and, finally, act upon the advice of counsel.

I can imagine scenarios where we might need to take such a course, but
this certainly isn't one of them IMHO.

Cheers,
Mark.