[legal-discuss] [openstack-tc] Copyrights and License Headers in source files

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue May 14 19:25:18 UTC 2013

Mark Washenberger wrote:
> Thanks so much for this link. This page looks like a much better
> informed way of expressing my viewpoint, which boils down to
>  1) Copyright headers in source files are not really necessary, and
> often give an inaccurate view of the provenance of a file.
>  2) Some folks, like me, find copyright headers in source files tedious
> to maintain.
>
> Unless anyone has a stronger counterpoint to the view Richard has
> expressed here, I'd like to proceed with plans to stop allowing commits
> that add new copyright headers to new file additions in Glance (LICENSE
> file is an obvious exception).
>
> - a hacking check that prohibits copyright headers, with exceptions made
> for all currently existing files
> - some sort of commit hook or automated process for setting up the
> static license header in files that are missing the license notice
> - seek permission from the OpenStack Foundation to move their copyright
> headers into LICENSE (or remove them entirely)
> - seek similar permission from other original copyright holders
>
> (these last two steps really aren't that crucial, since the goal from my
> perspective is for folks to stop having to pay attention to copyright
> headers while coding)

I'm not totally convinced that copyright headers in source files are so
tedious that it's worth going through a complex transition to get rid of
maintaining them.

Such transition may be something that is relatively easy to achieve in
Glance, but I don't see it happening in larger code bases, and I'd
prefer us to be coherent across all projects when it comes to things
like file headers.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack