[legal-discuss] Guidelines for naming new projects

Richard Fontana rfontana at redhat.com
Thu May 2 21:28:49 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 08:45:37PM +0000, Brad Haque wrote:
> Ah ok, I see "Grizzly" now as an example?

Grizzly is a release codename, which is selected according to a
process documented here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Release_Naming

I believe the question here was specifically raised in connection with
names of projects proposed for incubation, but is certainly more
generally applicable.

>  I can't provide legal advice to the Foundation or this listserve,
>  but there are a lot of different elements in evaluating likelihood
>  of confusion (which is just an element of an infringement).  To
>  address the issue raised below, there may be areas where two
>  completely unrelated industries end up have overlapping business
>  which can cause infringement and issues (see e.g., Apple Inc. and
>  Apple Records).  So a trademark search on a product is usually
>  relatively thorough exercise involving an analysis of both state
>  and federal trademark searches in all industries and trademark
>  classes as well as international, web, domain name etc. uses.
>  Likely one of the member companies can do the search, but we could
>  not give any opinion whatsoever about the validity or usability of
>  the proposed mark.  That would have to come from Foundation
>  counsel.

> Richard or others may have better ideas, but you could also eliminate the need for a name and just use "OpenStack 1.0" or "OpenStack X"

For elimination of the release codenames, yes. Just guessing here but
I suspect that might meet with some resistance from not only the
developer community but also the Foundation staff.

- RF