[legal-discuss] [openstack-tc] Copyrights and License Headers in source files

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Thu May 2 05:53:12 UTC 2013

Hi Mark,

On Wed, 2013-05-01 at 14:57 -0700, Mark Washenberger wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I was looking into the ASL-2.0, and chanced across the fact that in Apache
> projects, they require that source files only have the License Header, and
> may not have any copyright notices [1]. It occurred to me that we waste a
> fair amount of time on copyrights in license headers, and it would be nice
> not to have to do that anymore.

Like Monty said, I'd like to hear more about why these are seen as a
time sink.

> I also noticed a previous conversation [2] on this subject. I have not
> found any policy that actually requires us to include copyrights with each
> source file license header.
>
> Feel free to suggest that this is more trouble than it is worth, but I'd
> like to propose that we discourage new contributions from including
> copyright attribution, and provide a process to work with the various
> parties we have to remove the copyrights from existing files.

I don't have a massively strong opinion on this and I'd never really
considered the possibility of not having copyright headers, but my first
thought is that I like that we have them. I like that "ownership" of the
work is distributed and it's nice to be able to see how that ownership
is distributed through the code base.

In any case, I think it's too late for us to effectively make a change
in like this successfully and not worth the hassle.

Cheers,
Mark.