[legal-discuss] Licensing of documentation

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Wed Dec 11 16:51:45 UTC 2013

Thanks for asking Richard. The Board meeting notes with the CC-BY decision
are at:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/Foundation/15Oct2012BoardMinutes#Approval_of_the_CCBY_License_for_Documentation

Alice King has a draft memo to go to the Board the next time it gets on the
Agenda with more details. I can certainly answer questions you have, though
I did delegate this chase to the appropriately named Nick Chase. :)

Thanks,
Anne

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 1:15 AM, Richard Fontana <rfontana at redhat.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Certain manuals available at docs.openstack.org contain this legal
> notice:
>
>   Copyright © 2013 OpenStack Foundation
>
>   Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you
>   may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You may
>   obtain a copy of the License at
>
>   http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
>
>   Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
>   distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
>   WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or
>   implied. See the License for the specific language governing
>   permissions and limitations under the License.
>
> followed immdiately by a box that says:
>
>  Except where otherwise noted, this document is licensed under
>  Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 3.0 License
>
>  http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/legalcode
>

> This github repository suggests at quickest glance that Apache License
> 2.0 is the license: https://github.com/openstack/openstack-manuals
>
> Some docs writers at Red Hat were previously under the impression that
> CC BY was the license of OpenStack documentation, which I assume is
> incorrect except for material specifically on wiki.openstack.org.
>
> Can anyone clarify? We'd like to adapt some portions of the upstream
> documentation in our product documentation and we want to make sure we
> get the licensing right.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Richard Fontana
> Legal