[legal-discuss] Licensing of documentation

Richard Fontana rfontana at redhat.com
Wed Dec 11 07:15:16 UTC 2013

Hi,

Certain manuals available at docs.openstack.org contain this legal
notice:

  Copyright © 2013 OpenStack Foundation

  Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you
  may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You may
  obtain a copy of the License at

  WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or
  implied. See the License for the specific language governing
  permissions and limitations under the License.

followed immdiately by a box that says:

 Except where otherwise noted, this document is licensed under
 Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 3.0 License

 http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/legalcode

This github repository suggests at quickest glance that Apache License
2.0 is the license: https://github.com/openstack/openstack-manuals

Some docs writers at Red Hat were previously under the impression that
CC BY was the license of OpenStack documentation, which I assume is
incorrect except for material specifically on wiki.openstack.org.

Can anyone clarify? We'd like to adapt some portions of the upstream
documentation in our product documentation and we want to make sure we
get the licensing right.

Thanks!

Richard Fontana
Legal