[legal-discuss] NOTICE files

Richard Fontana rfontana at redhat.com
Sun Apr 28 20:00:19 UTC 2013

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 11:07:35AM -0400, Monty Taylor wrote:
> # Copyright (c) 2011 OpenStack Foundation
> # Copyright 2013 OpenStack Foundation
>
> (c) or no (c) - does it matter? Can we pick one? We can easily add a
> hacking check to ensure that people are putting in either with or
> without (c).

The use of "(c)" following "Copyright" is meaningless, but also
harmless.  I personally prefer just "Copyright <YEAR>" in plain text
files. It's a trivial issue, maybe best seen as a purely stylistic
matter.

(But third-party non-OpenStack copyright notices should ordinarily be
copied verbatim.)

- RF