[OpenStack-DefCore] Some Governance Patches To Be Aware Of

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Fri May 6 20:39:54 UTC 2016

On 05/06/2016 03:28 PM, John Dickinson wrote:

> On 6 May 2016, at 10:03, Mark Voelker wrote:
>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> For those of you who didn’t catch it elsewhere, here are a couple of DefCore-related things that the TC is currently considering that you may want to be aware of:
>>
>> "add resolution explaining which tests we think defcore should use"
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/312718/
>
> Should this resolution pass, what incentive remains to write a Tempest plugin?
>
> Currently the object storage project is working on a Tempest plugin so that our in-tree functional tests may be used as part of the DefCore validation suite. That work seems like needless code churn now. If in-tree tests are specifically discouraged for being used in DefCore compliance checks, this removes the incentive to use Tempest's plugin capabilities. Does this resolution thus imply that the Tempest plugin capability will be going away at some point?

I do not think so. tempest still handles a ton of the common openstack
needs and abstractions. While porting swift's functional tests to
tempest might be a chore for swift currently, I don't think the same is
true broadly - where the existence of a framework and the existence of
hooks to integrate that with devstack are super helpful.