[OpenStack-DefCore] RefStack development related questions

Alexandre Levine alexandrelevine at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 14:59:10 UTC 2016

Hi,

After several recent DevCore meetings some of the questions regarding
development decisions for RefStack were answered however some still
remain. And during yesterday's meeting some more had arisen.
Catherine suggested to write to this list in order to speed up the
process and not wait for the next DefCore meeting so here it is:

1. Vendors registration information

There was a decision made that Vendor registration will be implemented
in RefStack with subsequent approval by Foundation admins in
corresponding admin interface in RefStack.
During this registration new Vendor-to-be will have to enter some
information related to his/her Organization. In the OpenStack
Marketplace (example:
https://www.openstack.org/marketplace/hosted-private-clouds/unitedstack/uos-managed-private-cloud)
we can see that each Vendor besides the name has at least "about" and
"commitment" filled in. I think some other hidden fields might be of
interest for DefCore as well.

Hence a couple of questions:
A) Would it be possible that RefStack will be used as a source or one of
the sources for new Vendors who want to register?
B) What information about Vendor should RefStack show on Vendor details
page?

A) The first question (if the answer is potentially yes) means that
we'll have to collect all of the required information for DefCore in
regard to new registering Vendor. We'll need to know what is it then.
If the answer is no then see the second question.

B) The second one - we'll have to show something besides the name and I
think information might as well correspond to what's in Marketplace
because we speak about the same Vendors here. What is it exactly (which
fields) and where to get them - ask user during registration I guess?

2. Visibility of users registered in RefStack

We understand that the idea is to limit exposure of information.
However, there is a couple of use-cases which we'll have to implement:

Questions:
A) Vendor admin wants to add another admin for the Vendor. How do we
allow him/her to find who to add?
B) Various data we show (Vendors, Clouds, Software, test resuts... etc)
have owners and admins, people responsible for it. The question is how
do we show it if we do?

A) We've got users in various roles in this regard: Guest, regular User,
officially registered Vendor admin, Foundation admin.
Usual way of choosing something you need to select is to show list with
ability to search through it. That's what I suggest here, obviously.
Who to show it to?
Possibility of adding other users as admins to Vendors is open for
official Vendors admins only (for now). So we can limit access to lists
of all users and search to official Vendors admins and to Foundation admins.

However, there might be another reason to allow showing registered users
even to Guests. The same one which caused showing OpenStack summit
attendees to anyone in the OpenStack site. At least the login name is
displayed, however user can allow more information to be shown.
I'm not sure what reason was there to disclose this information but I
think it can be as good for RefStack. In which case lists of users
should be available to even Guests. Or we can limit it to regular Users.

B) Information about the team managing particular project in launchpad,
or about people responsible for something in OpenStack is usually open
and available. I believe we might want to display something of the kind
for our data, especially official stuff - Vendors, Clouds, Software.
What should it be? What can be shown? Wouldn't it make not listing users
to anyone useless if we show it?

Hope the above is clear enough for discussion and getting some answers
as soon as possible.

Best regards,
   Alex Levine