[OpenStack-DefCore] Minutes from Working Session

Rob Hirschfeld rob at rackn.com
Wed Oct 28 22:14:57 UTC 2015

All -

Great (but too short!) session yesterday.  Here's the text for everyone.

We need to pick a new cycle name.  Please add/+1 your choices!

Link: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/DefCoreFlagTokyo

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/DefCoreFlagTokyo
Agenda for DefCore Tokyo sessions

  * - http://sched.co/4Fjn

  * - http://sched.co/4Fjx

  *

Refstack design sessions:

  * *Thursday*, October 29 ( 4:30pm -  5:10pm)
    --   https://mitakadesignsummit.sched.org/event/8c1eaef3660d07eac5dac843daeeb5ea#.VhVKXUaGNS0

  * *Thursday*, October 29 ( 5:20pm -  6:00pm )
    --   Ihttps://mitakadesignsummit.sched.org/event/03beec97aabcecd9754093bd75549a27#.VhVKD0aGNS0

  *

Topics:

  * Board activity updates: 2015B process

  * Updates: 2015B approved, 2016.01 moved to review status

  * http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/defcore/

  * tree/2016.01.json < 2016.01 now in review status

  * http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/defcore/tree/doc/source/process/2015B.rst <
    New process doc now approved

  * WE WANT PATCHES to 2016.01

  * Patch Discussions of Interest:

  * Nova https://review.openstack.org/#/c/223915/

  * Neutron https://review.openstack.org/#/c/210080/   <- very active,
    floating IPs

  * Keystone https://review.openstack.org/#/c/213330/ <- very active on
    v2 vs v3

  * Cinder https://review.openstack.org/#/c/221631/  <- active

  * Glance https://review.openstack.org/#/c/213353/  <- active

  * Heat stuff:  (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/216983/

  * We also want test runs.

  * http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/refstack-client/tree/

  * http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/refstack-client/tree/README.rst

  * Created patch for general
    discussion: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/239830/

  * Links to patches from cycle presented to
    Board https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/DefCoreFlag.BoD

  * API guidance

  * Gave board update that we have incompatable (i.e., can't
    coexist) APIs and will need to pick

  * see dicussion below

  * Advisory guideance

  * After discussion, Board recommended that we treat "advisory" status
    in approved guidelines as vendors should expect WILL BE REQUIRED in
    next Guideline (and not think they are  "squishy")

  * How do we communicate this change to the community?  Blog post on
    superuser?  ML?  Wiki?
    README(updated https://review.openstack.org/#/c/239840/)
    <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/239840/%29> /HACKING?

  * Mark will take a crack at writing up process in simple terms

  * Yes

  * Review / Discussion of 2016.01 Guideline

  * Discussion about floating IPs

  * we are pulling out of 2016.01

  * Discussion about APIs & microversions.

  * we felt that API issues in tests were test issues

  * Identify needs for schema changes (1.5?)

  * we need to implement 1.4 on 2016.01 and next.  Should we go back
    farther?

  * Mark is working on patch for 2016.01 already

  * Plan: Mark will finish 2016.01 patch, also do 2015.07 and 2015.05,
    and post a changeset for RefStack to test with

  * We will also change 2015.05 & 2015.07

DID NOT FINISH AGENDA....see Going Forward at end

  * Review decisions made during cycle: Refstack required, all tests
    must be in tempest, no ORs (we don't allow two incompatible APIs)

  * Example: Heat Scoring ( https://review.openstack.org/#/c/216983/ )

  * The heat tests in tempest have stopped evolving for some time now as
    heat's functional and integration tests now live in the heat tree

  * Reconcile a contradiction between defcore consisting of tempest
    compliance tests, and tempest's policy of encouraging projects to
    write functional tests in their own project tree rather than tempest
    itself. (This may be a cross projects topic)

  * Plan major topics for next cycle

  * private vs public

  * more Refstack data

  * additional communication to dev list about changes

  * Naming of next cycle

  * name suggestions:

  * austin (cause next summit is in Austin...)

  * tokyo

  * chicken (as in playing)

  * ring (as in one ring to rule them all) +1

  * sink  (as in not floating and kitchen) +1

  * open (as in invitation) +1

  * Review proposed scoring changes

  * API versions and DefCore scoring/advisory/migration process

  * Guideline on Vendor Registration/Affiliation  in  RefStack
    (   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/226902/ ) .  Need Foundation
    inputs.

  * Vendor self-registration at RefStack or vendor name list provided by
    the Foundation

  * Asks from dev community:

  * Frequent rollups to TC and UC

  * Blog posts and mailing list posts to notify and explain:

  * Upcoming discussions

  * Major decisions or other announcements

New to DefCore?  Some pointers:

  *    h
    <http://www.slideshare.net/markvoelker/defcore-the-interoperability-standard-for-openstack-53040869>ttp://www.slideshare.net/markvoelker/defcore-the-interoperability-standard-for-openstack-53040869
    <http://www.slideshare.net/markvoelker/defcore-the-interoperability-standard-for-openstack-53040869>

  *     DefCore 101
    yesterday http://www.slideshare.net/rhirschfeld/tokyo-defcore-presentation

  *     https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/DefCore

  *     http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/defcore/tree/

    Going forward:

  * Discuss of ways of doing IPs and networks. How to figure out what is
    the forward-looking direction for doing IPs for VMs. We have 18
    month ramp!

  * Consider policy: send in tempest versions to the foundation?

  * DefCore needs to reach out more to the community, dev/operator
    mailing lists, blog posts, especially when major decissions are
    about to be made.

  * Need to make it easier to find how to do DefCore certs, which
    guidelines should be used. Update DefCore wiki... with links

  * Todo: how to communicate advisory status being required in the next
    cycle, rather than lingering in advisary status for several cycles

  * if people feel strongly, patch against next.json and the upcoming
    guideline. if not, patch against 2016.1 guideline

  * Mark will write up the candidacies and how the different advisory
    status works

  *

  *

  *