[OpenStack-DefCore] Suggestion for Meeting with DefCore on Process

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Mar 26 10:55:25 UTC 2015

Rob Hirschfeld wrote:
> The first _draft_ of the DefCore process landed today:
> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/defcore/tree/process/2015A.rst
>
> Naturally, we are using Gerrit for discussion about individual points;
> however, I'd like to suggest an interactive review/Q&A meeting (with
> voice/shared screen) to give the TC and DefCore a chance to discuss the
> draft.

We can definitely dedicate some meeting time to discuss the process. It
would be good to circulate the process before, and clarify some of the
terminology for those of us that are not familiar with it ("guidelines",
"designated sections"...)

> Our objective is to ratify this process at the May Board/TC join
> session.  Both bodies must approve as required in the revised by-laws.

The revised by-laws are still not on the website, but if I remember
correctly the new wording, the Technical Committee and the Board of
Directors just need to agree on the procedure for changing the contents
of the "OpenStack TC Approved Release", in particular changes that would
remove software that is used in Trademark Designated OpenStack Software.
I don't remember we have to formally approve the Defcore process itself ?

So imho most of the work is for the TC to define the tc-approved-release
tag(s), and propose tag deprecation rules (rules to apply for when the
tag is removed) that are acceptable to Defcore and the BoD, so as to not
adversely affect the trademark programs.

To come back to the Defcore process, as I mentioned to you earlier it is
still unclear where the "TC-approved release" (that the bylaws mandate
the TC defines) is used in the Defcore process. Is it at the D3.2 level
? If yes, I would suggest you reuse the bylaws terminology there to
avoid confusion...

> I'm thinking of some time during the week of 4/6.  Also, DefCore meets
> weekly on Wednesday at 9 PT for process discussion and 11 PT for
> capabilities review.

We could schedule it for the April 7th TC meeting.
Regards,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)