[OpenStack-DefCore] How to Deal With Overlapping Capabilities

Rob Hirschfeld rob at zehicle.com
Wed Mar 25 21:21:02 UTC 2015

On 03/25/2015 03:54 PM, Mark Voelker wrote:
> Both are widely enough deployed that it wouldn’t make sense for us to list one and not the other (thus restricting several long-time clouds from being able to use the trademark) but we also don’t have an “either/or” concept as of now and it wouldn’t be practical to expect clouds/products to supply both capabilities either.

I'd suggest that we have the Components concept for this. It's perfectly
reasonable to have the Nova-Net and Neutron as Components. Components
have distinct lists of capabilities that could overlap (e.g.: they
should all require Keystone capabilities). From that perspective, we
also do have the flexibility to define the Platform as requiring
Nova-Net or Neutron.

That type of "or" can be accommodated at the Component/Platform level
without any new language (but may need some tweaking in the JSON schema
where we define required components).