[OpenStack-DefCore] Meeting Time Checkup

Rob Hirschfeld rob at rackn.com
Mon Jul 13 15:31:27 UTC 2015

All,

Now that we've started IRC and split times, I don't see that we have any
real way to reverse the practice without the _perception_ of limiting
collaboration.

Both are workable for me; however, I find the IRC meetings less productive
and the split times been a net loss in participation.  As co-chair I am
voicing this position to give others a chance to express similar opinions.

Rob

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 9:46 AM, Mark Voelker <mvoelker at vmware.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> As most of your recall, at the beginning of the Flag cycle we set a new
> meeting schedule so that we have alternating-week meeting times [1].  One
> of the goals of doing so was to invite more global participation in DefCore
> by having meeting times that were more doable for folks in various locales
> around the world.  When we adopted that schedule, we set ourselves a
> checkpoint to review and see if the schedule was having it's intended
> effect or whether further tweaks might be necessary.  Last week's meeting
> was that checkpoint, and we initiated the discussion there [2].  However we
> wanted to bring this up on the ML as well so folks unable to attend the
> meeting had a chance to chime in.
>
> Generally speaking, the current alternating schedule seems to be working
> out reasonably well: we are seeing slightly less attendance during the
> 01:00 UTC slot but generally we've still got plenty enough of a quorum to
> get things done.  We're often seeing a person or two from AsiaPac join
> during that slot.  The 15:00 UTC slot seems better attended (and is
> generally more convenient for the North America-based folks) and we've also
> occasionally had an attendee or two from Europe during that time.
>
> On the downside, we aren't really seeing a lot of *routine* attendance
> from individuals based outside of North America.  That may be ok--over time
> we expect to see a lot of folks join us briefly to discuss a matter of
> importance to them like a flag or a problematic test and then drop off
> again, and right now the majority of those who are most involved in routine
> DefCore work happen to be based in North America.  We want to be amenable
> and inviting to those occasional visitors and prospective new active
> members even if it makes for a slightly less convenient schedule for the
> majority of us.  However if there are folks that would like to be routine
> participants that we're excluding somehow, now would be a good time to pipe
> up and let us know why the current times aren't working out for you.
>
> Absent major objections, I think the general feeling is that the current
> schedule is working out well enough to keep.
>
> [1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/DefCoreFlag.2
> [2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/DefCoreFlag.7
>

> At Your Service,
>
> Mark T. Voelker