[OpenStack-DefCore] Capabilities Meetings for Flag Cycle

Mark Voelker mvoelker at vmware.com
Mon Jul 13 14:51:55 UTC 2015

Folks,

As many of your recall, at the beginning of this cycle we elected to combine process and capabilities meetings. [1]  We've recently discussed revisiting this as we get to the point in the Flag cycle where we begin identifying new capabilities in earnest. [2]  This is largely because so far we haven't allocated any real time to identifying new capabilities in meetings, but the agendas have still been pretty packed.

We recently assigned some folks to begin investigating new candidates for scoring [3] and the tentative plan is to use gerrit for the majority of the work, then use meetings to discuss times that fail to gain consensus there.  As such we will need to discuss meeting times and when we want to start holding these meetings.  I’d suggest that we begin separate capabilities meetings following the midcycle meeting in Austin.  That should provide folks with a little time to get oriented and either come with questions and/or comments ready.  That will also give us time to work out a few mechanics about how to get candidates scored via Gerrit so we have a process to work from.

I’m open to meeting time suggestions.  I’ll note that the as of now I don’t think we have any volunteers based outside North America for identifying scoring candidates [3], but I’d be happy to set up a rotating schedule similar to what we have for our other meetings to make these widely attendable as I imagine there will be good discussions and strong opinions at these things over time.

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/DefCoreFlag.2
[2] https://github.com/openstack/defcore/blob/master/doc/source/process/2015A.rst
[3] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/DefCoreFlag.7

At Your Service,