[OpenStack-DefCore] Feedback on DefCore Process document

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Thu Feb 12 16:01:14 UTC 2015

During the DefCore meeting yesterday, feedback was requested on the
following DefCore process document:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rekLXVuyXUxV1zWWxvpVaaS_8MSxGUqUp0bvC1C2prU/edit#heading=h.gqn73w9yzkli

I made some comments and suggested some edits, but wanted to bring some
of that here for discussion.

1) Ongoing maintenance of capabilities

One of the key points in the document is:

   "Going forward, we want to rely on the technical leadership to
    create, cluster and describe capabilities.  DefCore bootstrapped
    this process for Havana.  Further, Capabilities are defined by
    tests in Tempest..."

Later in the document, "technical leadership" was clarified as:

   "all tests are categorized into a capability by the PTL
    through a Gerrit patch of the JSON file"

I'm curious how much discussion there has been with the technical
leadership about this part.  It seems important to work out for this to
be sustainable long term.

As I understand it, the test groupings into capabilities has been a
manual process so far.  Is that right?

Ideally, I think we should be working with the tempest team to have the
required metadata be a part of tempest itself and kept up to date as
tests are added/removed/changed over time.  I think *that* should be the
primary request to the technical leadership.  Define a set of
requirements for the metadata needed about available tests and then
discuss possible solutions.

Perhaps there is existing work in this area already?

2) Designated Sections

I made several suggested edits to the document to clarify that the TC is
not responsible for defining designated sections.  To recap, the
official TC response to this was:

http://governance.openstack.org/resolutions/20140211-tc_defcore_response.html

The suggested edits just change it such that the defcore committee is
responsible for defining designated sections, but will do so with input
from any interested community members.  Further, the suggested edits
clarify that the ongoing maintenance of the designated sections
definitions will be done in the defcore git repository.

--
Russell Bryant