[OpenStack-DefCore] excellent discussion about Core Capabilities vs Core Tests > likely small change in original plan

Rob_Hirschfeld at Dell.com Rob_Hirschfeld at Dell.com
Fri Jun 6 00:30:40 UTC 2014

All,

Yesterday we had a discussion that will likely result in formalizing Capabilities instead of Tests as the focus for scoring each release.  Our original assumption was that capabilities were a bridge to get us to scoring tests; however, we are revisiting that position during the Face to Face meeting.  Since this is a potential (minor) change in process, I wanted to flag it to the committee early.

The proposal is basically to continue to score capabilities as core or non-core using our 12 criteria.   We would then need to manage which tests are included in the capability each release.  This means that adding tests to a capability will become a higher stakes question since the new tests could change what it takes to pass the capability.

The alternative (the plan of record IMHO) is that we will push the current capability scores down to the tests and then have to score _each_ test for each release.  Since test counts are growing exponentially, this represents a likely impossible task.

The new proposal is likely much easier to govern but we have to hammer out some details.  It will be discussed and likely decided at the face to face.

If you have a strong opinion about this, please state it in this thread!

Rob
Rob Hirschfeld
Sr. Distinguished Cloud Solution Architect
Dell | Cloud Edge, Data Center Solutions
cell +1 512 909-7219 blog robhirschfeld.com, twitter @zehicle
Please note, I am based in the CENTRAL (-6) time zone