[OpenStack-DefCore] Update from Meeting & Flow Chart

Rob_Hirschfeld at Dell.com Rob_Hirschfeld at Dell.com
Fri Jul 11 19:05:18 UTC 2014

DefCore,

Lots of good progress from https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/DefCoreLighthouse.3

Next item are TWO community reviews of the Havana Capabilities next week on Wednesday 8am PT & 6pm PT.

DEFCORE MEETING 7/9 Time 4 PM Pacific AGENDA (Lighthouse.3)

Recording NOT posted yet

## Summary

* DefCore accepted TC recommendation and will own Designated Sections
* DefCore will propose Designated Section Guidelines for Board approval at TBD special meeting in August
* We reviewed topics for the July Board Meeting
* We scheduled community review of the Havana Capabilities (7/16 at 1600 UTC & 7/17 at 0200 UTC)
* We discussed guidelines for Designated Sections

## Roll Call
* Mark Atwood, Hewlett-Packard
* Phil Estes, IBM
* Michael Still, Rackspace
* Rob Hirschfeld, Dell / Chair
* Lauren Sell, OpenStack Foundation
* Jonathan Bryce, OpenStack Foundation
* Lew Tucker, Cisco
* Rocky Grober, Huawei

## Apologies
* Anne Gentle, Rackspace
* Josh McKenty

## Agenda

* Discuss TC response to Designated Sections
* Review Process Flow Chart
* Prepare for Board Meeting
* Prepare for Community Review
* Discuss impacts on Calendar

## Review of TC Position on Designated Sections

*         * http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/tc/2014/tc.2014-07-01-20.02.log.html#l-193
*         * previous > http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/tc/2014/tc.2014-06-24-20.02.log.html
*         * previous > http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/tc/2014/tc.2014-06-17-20.03.log.html
*         * to quickly find the thread, look for my handle "zehicle"
*
In Tuesday's meeting, the TC accepted the majority of the DefCore positions while rejecting a role in defining designated sections.

Their position is that, as developer representatives, they believe all of the OpenStack is defined by the entirety of the integrated release.   They do not want to be responsible for work that designates subsections of that code base as replaceable or optional.

This is not the position that we'd expected based on previous interactions; however, we should expect this to be TC position going forward.

As a consequence, we need to have a meeting next week to discuss alternatives.    (REMINDER: We also have Community review meetings next week on Wednesday).

In an effort to cover all the bases, I've put together a very broad set of possible alternatives:

1)      Refuse to accept TC position and ask for additional meetings
2)      TC Recommends > Have the DefCore define designated sections for TC to review, advise, advocate, etc.
3)      Decide that the board cannot make the technical decision and omit designated code requirements from the Core definition principles
4)      The item above EXCEPT that we keep designated code as a concept and say there is 0% designated at this time
5)      A reset of the process that goes back to project based definition of core (on the assumption that we cannot change the bylaws) where 100% of the "core" projects are required.  We will then have to resolve Swift and Keystone commercial deployments.  This moves the capabilities work into a FITS discussion.

ACTION > We are going to move foward on the TC's recommendation that DefCore own the Designated Sections with community input

## Board Meeting Prep

* Havana Capabilities Approved as Advisory
* Update on Designated Sections Change
* Timeline Update & Impacts
*         * Foundation Impacts

  *   * updated license agreement

  *   * vendor engagement

  *   * trademark rollouts

  *   * pre-summit frenzy for announcements
* Refstack challenges & update
*         * testing issues on Tempest & configuration
*         * updates about "pass only" scoring
* Revisit board request for "anonymous only" aspect of Refstack
*         * Allow vendors to post results if they want
* Bylaws Update
*         * Example from F2F meeting
* Capabilities + Designated Sections Venn Impact
*         * Discuss designated sections on "hot items" > Swift, Keystone
*         * Critical item is Core Capabilities (that's what picks the projects)
* Preliminary action on Guidelines for Designated Sections

## Community Input

7/16 Community Meeting
*         10am Central  UTC 1600
*         8pm Central   UTC  0200 Next day

Focus on Havana Capabilities (but review process)

## Designated Sections Guidelines

http://robhirschfeld.com/2014/06/05/designated-code-sections/
1. default is NOT designated
2. "non-shouting concensus" to determine sections (means that controverial sections are NOT designated)
3. must also pass baseline sanity test
4. should be a quantitive target (goal is NOT zero)
5. recognize that enforcement is loose

Reference material is a "best effort" document expressing intent

Rob
Rob Hirschfeld
Sr. Distinguished Cloud Solution Architect
Dell | Cloud Edge, Data Center Solutions
cell +1 512 909-7219 blog robhirschfeld.com, twitter @zehicle
Please note, I am based in the CENTRAL (-6) time zone