[Women-of-openstack] WOO Speaker Series: June 26 discussion on Imposter Syndrome

Jessica Murillo jessicak at us.ibm.com
Thu Jun 15 03:49:13 UTC 2017

Mark your calendars to join us as we continue our Women of OpenStack
speaker series on June 26, 2017. We will be joined by Major Hayden,
principal architect at Rackspace, who will lead  a discussion on impostor
syndrome including how to identify it and how to overcome it.

The OpenStack community is highly collaborative, fast-paced, and helpful.
However, some new community members are overwhelmed with new terminology
and detailed processes, especially those with impostor syndrome.  They
struggle with an internal battle where their confidence and competence are
not aligned. Impostor syndrome is a psychological phenomenon that affects
people from all backgrounds and all skill levels. They feel like their
competence level is much lower than it really is and they feel this way on
a regular basis. This can cause community members to become detached or
feel incapable of providing meaningful contributions.

Women of OpenStack
2000 UTC, 4 PM EDT, 3 PM CDT, 2 PM MDT, 1 PM PDT

Dial In: 1-203-277-8157 or 866-619-0383  Participant: 7217256# Leader 4018#
webex URL:
https://verizon2.webex.com/verizon2-en/e.php?MTID=m0e7ba518a2d4487bc0a78d00055f62e2

If you are not able to join the discussion live, we will be posting a
recording of it afterwards. For more information, see the meeting etherpad:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/WOS_06_26_17

Major's bio:
Major Hayden builds OpenStack clouds as a Principal Architect at Rackspace.
Major is a core developer in the OpenStack-Ansible project with a focus on
improving information security in OpenStack deployments.  He holds multiple
Red Hat and Global Information Assurance Certification (GIAC)
certifications and has written extensively about securing virtualized Linux
environments. Outside of OpenStack, Major has contributed to several open
source projects including dracut, systemd, and Ansible. Within the Fedora
Linux community, Major serves on the Fedora Security Team and Fedora Server
Working Group. Major enjoys writing on his personal blog, major.io, and he
talks about technical topics on Twitter as @majorhayden.

Jessica Murillo
Vice President, Strategy
IBM Systems