[Women-of-openstack] Quick poll - need your input

Barrett, Carol L carol.l.barrett at intel.com
Wed Jul 20 20:37:56 UTC 2016

Thanks Nithya - My thoughts below...

From: Nithya Ruff [mailto:Nithya.Ruff at sandisk.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 12:10 PM
To: women-of-openstack at lists.openstack.org
Subject: [Women-of-openstack] Quick poll - need your input

I am doing an interview with the superuser magazine and want to make sure to represent the sentiments and issues we see as a group.  Could you answer these 2-3 questions for me. I will aggregate and represent the answer in my Q&A.   Thank you in advance for your input and perspectives.

Q: What obstacles do you think women face when getting involved in the OpenStack community?
[Barrett, Carol L] I think the challenges faced are the same for all newcomers, women are no exception.
[Barrett, Carol L] I think the challenges fall into 3 categories:

1)      Tools: Getting up and running on IRC, gerrit/github, etc. This include proxy configuration.

2)      Community Culture: How to interact with the community, how to propose a patch, how to comment on a review, etc.

3)      Building a Network: Both getting known and knowing others so that you can operate effectively within the Community.

Q: There are always a lot of debates in the OpenStack community - which one is the most important, now?
[Barrett, Carol L] I think the most important debate is the one not occurring - what is the next generation of OpenStack? Future Strategy and overall OpenStack planning.

Q. Why do you believe it is important for the OpenStack community to be diverse?
[Barrett, Carol L] People with different backgrounds think differently, see things differently and act differently. We can learn from each other and create better, more innovative solutions together!

Thank You,
Nithya A. Ruff
Director, SanDisk Open Source Strategy, CTO Office
WIN Board Member
SanDisk |a Western Digital brand
951 SanDisk Drive, Milpitas, CA 95035
T: + (408-801-7068)| M: + (510-378-3159)
Nithya.Ruff at SanDisk.com<mailto:Nithya.Ruff at SanDisk.com>        Twitter: @nithyaruff<https://twitter.com/nithyaruff>

PLEASE NOTE: The information contained in this electronic mail message is intended only for the use of the designated recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this message in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender by telephone or e-mail (as shown above) immediately and destroy any and all copies of this message in your possession (whether hard copies or electronically stored copies).