[Women-of-openstack] Women of OpenStack working session summary and next steps

Rainya Mosher rainya.mosher at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 19:02:56 UTC 2015

hihi Melissa,

I wasn't able to attend the working session in Vancouver (was in and out
pretty fast due to conflicts back home / office). One of the things you
might be able to contribute to is writing / documenting your journey of
"coming up to speed" as a newcomer to OpenStack. For many of us who have
been in the community for a while, it can be hard to remember back to those
early days when we were finding our way through the haze. And those early
days were in some ways different than they are today -- less complex with
fewer people and projects to understand.

As you learn your way through OpenStack, what resources were the most
helpful? What questions did you have that you had to find a person to
answer (vs being able to read or watch a video)? What were the ramp up
elements that absolutely required a mentor-type person to be most effective
and what did you do to prepare yourself for the relationship so you could
get the most out of it?

There has been a lot of great work around "onboarding" into OpenStack over
the last several Summits. I've sensed and seen evidence of a desire to
create more mentors in the community, but it can be challenging for a
veteran Stacker to know how best to mentor a newcomer. So from my point of
view, a newcomer eager to help and *needing* to learn OpenStack for their
own professional livelihood seems like a great person to contribute to some
next steps there!

Rainya
210.316.5065
*Not all of us can save the world. Some of us have to make it worth saving.
- RFM*

On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 12:08 PM, Melissa Patterson <mpatterson at servosity.com