[Women-of-openstack] Women of OpenStack working session summary and next steps

Jessica Murillo jessicak at us.ibm.com
Tue Jun 2 06:24:19 UTC 2015

Thanks for everyone who was able to join us at the Women of OpenStack
working session on May 19. A special thanks to our lightening talk
speakers: Valerie Aurora, Nina Goradia, and Madhura Maskasky for sharing
their experiences and inspiring our group discussions. If you have not
already seen the article, Allison Price from the OpenStack Foundation has
written a great summary of working session on Superuser:
http://superuser.openstack.org/articles/how-to-get-more-women-involved-in-tech-communication-leadership-and-mentors

After summarizing the group break out sessions there are very similar
themes to what we discussed during our Paris Summit working session. Key
areas of focus include:
1. Developing women leaders
2. Increasing the visibility of women in the OpenStack community
3. Mentorship
4. Building a strong communications channel for the Women of OpenStack

Several of you have asked, "What's next?" That is really up to us. We've
heard from many of you that you want the Women of OpenStack to continue to
work together between summits to address these key issues. To help
facilitate follow-on discussions I've included several volunteer sign up
sheets in addition to a full group summary in this google drive doc:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nu_0EperGdXIQifmjHiNVuB2RJb-5bVJkB9oRT-ExVw/edit#gid=0

The goal is for each volunteer group to come together as a team to develop
1-2 key actions they want to accomplish leading up to the Tokyo Summit.
There has already been some great progress and discussion on creating an
IRC channel which was one of our communication follow-up actions. I'm
looking forward to what this group can accomplish in the other areas as
well.

Let me know if you have any questions, I am definitely looking forward to
continuing the conversation ...

Jessica Murillo
Vice President, Strategy
IBM Systems
Office Phone: 512-286-7691, T/L: 363-7691
Mobile Phone: 512-970-8466
jessicak at us.ibm.com