[User-committee] UC Candidacy

John Studarus john at jhlconsulting.com
Sun Feb 17 02:05:56 UTC 2019

This is to serve as my nomination for to the OpenStack User Committee for
the February 2019 elections.

Within the OpenStack Community, I've been involved running a number of user
groups, regional events and speaking at OpenStack Summits alike. As an
OpenStack Ambassador (US) these last few years, I've had a chance to attend
events and meet with user group organizers across the US. This includes
jumping in and resurrecting/revitalizing those groups that have fallen to
the wayside which has been happening all too much. I've had the opportunity
to speak at a number of regional events, including OpenStack Days UK and
Vietnam and find this outreach instrumental in finding what is working for
others and bringing them back to my own groups. Being involved and reaching
out to these groups, I know how the user committee can best support these
populations. I'd like to step up my involvement from being a regional
OpenStack Ambassador to a member of the User Committee to further this goal.

Technically and professionally, I've been involved with a number of the
newer OpenStack projects including Zuul and the edge computing initiatives.
I've developed open source code and presented on a number of topics
including building Arm based OpenStack clouds, implementing cloud security
using SDN service chaining, and developing driver plugins for the Zuul CI
platform. I'm currently working on getting a proof of concept showcasing
StarlingX running across next generation, cell tower based, micro
datacenters equipped with CBRS (Citizen Band Radio Service) wireless
spectrum. I feel that these emerging technologies are the future of the
OpenStack Foundation and our efforts should be focused on bringing together
all the parties required to make these succeed. I'm the owner of a small
cloud and security consulting firm for the last 20 years providing services
across the telco, finance, government, and pharma spaces.

Thanks for your attention and I hope that I've gathered your support.

Sincerely,

John P Studarus