[User-committee] UC Candidacy

Matt Van Winkle mvanwinkle at salesforce.com
Fri Aug 3 14:30:13 UTC 2018

Greetings OpenStack Operators and Users,

I’d like to take the opportunity to state my candidacy in the upcoming
UC election. I have enjoyed the work we have been able to accomplish
these last 12 months and I would like to serve another term to help
continue the momentum.

After 6 years in Operations and Engineering for Rackspace’s public
cloud, I have recently joined Salesforce to help with their OpenStack
efforts. At both companies, I’ve had the distinct pleasure of serving
a number of talented engineers and teams as they have worked to scale
and manage the infrastructure. During this time, I’ve also enjoyed
sharing ideas with and learning from other Operators running large
OpenStack clouds in order to find new and creative ways to solve
challenges

With respect to community involvement, my first summit was Portland
and have made all but two since. I’ve also been very active in the
Operators community since helping plan the very first meet-up in San
Jose. I’ve given a few talks in the past and have served as track
chair many times. After Paris, I began chairing the Large Deployments
Team. This team, while inactive now, was a long running group of
operators that shared many ideas on scaling OpenStack and has had some
successes running feature requests to ground with dev teams. It’s been
a distinct pleasure to work with such smart folks from around the
community. Chairing LDT also led to an opportunity to join the Ops
Meetup Team - working with others on planning Operator mid-cycles and
Ops related Summit/Forum sessions.

I was fortunate enough to be part of the group that helped the old UC
craft the bylaw changes that have expanded the committee and made it
the elected body it is today. After serving as an election official in
the first election, I chose to run for an open spot a year ago.
Regardless of the outcome of this election, it is really awesome to
see the evolution of the UC and how it’s able to better coordinate
Operator and User efforts in guiding the community and the development
cycle.

If re-elected, I hope to keep helping more Users and Operators
understand how to take better advantage of the the various events and
dev cycle to drive improvement and change in the software. The UC has
a vision of seeing conversations at and Operators mid-cycle or from an
OpenStack Days OPs session become specific topic submissions at the
next summit. Conversely, we'd love this pattern to be regular enough
that the Dev teams start proposing session ideas for certain feedback
at upcoming OPs gatherings to complete the cycle. While there is still
plenty of work to do to make these things a reality, the UC has been
laying the ground work since the Dublin PTG. I'd like to serve another
term so I can do my part to help keep making progress. Beyond that, I
want to continue the great work of the UC members to date on being an
advocate for the User with the Board, TC and community at large.

I appreciate the time and the consideration.
Thanks!
VW

--
Matt Van Winkle
Senior Manager, Software Engineering | Salesforce