[User-committee] OpenStack Passport Program

Tobias Rydberg tobias at citynetwork.se
Wed Sep 13 08:02:43 UTC 2017

Hello!

We have some exciting news for OpenStack public cloud providers: We'd
like to invite you to participate in a new initiative due to launch at
the Sydney Summit, November 6th.

The OpenStack Public Cloud Passport Program is a unified way for users
to access free trial accounts from OpenStack public cloud providers
around the world. The passport will start life as a new landing page on
openstack.org, where users can easily access trial accounts on any
participating public cloud. The initial goals are: to promote the
OpenStack public cloud market, remove friction for users to get started
on their OpenStack journey, and to allow them to experiment across a
broad range of clouds.

The long term vision involves a unified way for users to access
OpenStack public clouds around the world via their own OpenStack
Passport, which would involve a technical integration with a new
OpenStack Passport API service and OpenStack ID. We will be discussing
future plans for this during several sessions at the Sydney Summit. In
the short term, all interested parties will essentially provide a
website offering of their freemium/trial offerings, which will be
indexed and promoted at openstack.org/passport.

If you're interested, please do get in touch and register your details
here by September 26th:
https://openstackfoundation.formstack.com/forms/openstack_public_cloud_passport_registration

The guidelines for participation are:

1. Your business must either a) currently offer a free trial for new
public cloud users or b) plans to launch one by November 3rd;
2. You must implement an official OpenStack graphic and agreed-upon text
on your own website's landing page (details TBA);
3. You must provide a quality user experience, because
confusing/longwinded processes dissuade users;
4. You must have a privacy policy, because we will be sending users to
sign up directly for your service;
5. You are strongly encouraged to get involved with the bi-weekly IRC
meetings hosted by the Public Cloud Working Group (more details below);
6. You acknowledge that participation in the program does not
necessarily guarantee traffic or users.

The program is currently being driven by the Public Cloud Working Group
with the support of the OpenStack Foundation. If you want to get
involved with how the program takes shape, we do public IRC meetings
every other Wednesday. Our next meeting is today (Wednesday September
13th) at 1400UTC in #openstack-meeting-3.

We're also running fishbowl sessions at OpenStack Days UK in London
(September 26th) and OpenStack Days Nordic in Copenhagen (October 19th).

Kind regards,

Howard Huang, Sean Handley & Tobias Rydberg
Chairs of Public Cloud Working Group

--

	*Tobias Rydberg*
Senior Developer

Mobile: +46 733 312780
Support: +46 8 4000 9000

tobias.rydberg at citynetwork.se <mailto:tobias.rydberg at citynetwork.se>
www.citynetwork.se <http://www.citynetwork.se>

City Network Hosting AB
Borgmästaregatan 18
SE-371 34 Karlskrona
Sweden

Innovation through open IT Infrastructure

ISO 9001, 14001, 27001, 27015 & 27018 Certified