[User-committee] COMING SOON! NEW COMMUNITY PORTAL!

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Thu Oct 12 16:33:32 UTC 2017

Glad to see work going on that page!

On 10/12/2017 05:03 AM, Melvin Hillsman wrote:
> We would love to get your feedback. As a new user:
>
>   * What is the first thing you should do try OpenStack?

I would hope the answer to this question is found elsewhere on the site,
like on /software ... there is a 'getting started' item in the dropdown.

>   * How can you build a proof of concept?

same as above, I'd expect this would be material for /software/start

>   * Reading documentation or watching relevant summit videos

same as above

>   * Reporting bugs

this is about /software too: it implies that someone is already using
the software.

>   * Grabbing tools from osops

again, technical content for a user that already knows what their needs are

>   * Participating in the Forum and SIGs

... this is material for people who are deep in the weeds of OpenStack
projects and Foundation. I'd expect this not to be in a top-level
navigation page.

>   * etc...

This is a top-level landing page, it is for people who get to
openstack.org from a search right? I would expect it to focus on people,
 put readers in touch with other people like them. I'd expect to find
here ways to contact local user groups, events, mailing lists and Q&A
site. Links to code, docs, etc have a reason to be here but in lower
priority as they should be prominent elsewhere on the site.

Are we still participating to Outreachy and GSoC? How about the Women of
OpenStack group? These initiatives may be given more visibility on this
page.

I left some comments on the invisio page, too.

I'm really glad to see this page getting some love: much needed!

Thanks,
stef