[User-committee] [App] [Enterprise] Wrapping up App Dev Enabling WG

Christopher Aedo doc at aedo.net
Mon Mar 13 20:28:47 UTC 2017

On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 4:08 PM, Yih Leong, Sun. <yihleong at gmail.com> wrote:
> It is sad to hear this decision.
>
> Instead of wrapping up this group, would you consider merge this under
> Enterprise WG?
> There are work in Enterprise WG (such as ISV) that could have overlap with
> SaaS/PaaS and App Development?

At this point there's no "group" to merge.  We've satisfied the
majority of the efforts we had started, and any new efforts around
engaging PaaS groups would really be a chance in direction from where
we started.  (Not to mention this working group does not have many
"workers" left).

Going forward there's nothing stopping the Enterprise WG from deciding
you would want to take on managing relationships with PaaS vendors to
facilitate better cooperation between those folks and the OpenStack
community, if something like that is what makes the most sense.

This would be a good time for the User Committee to get involved here
and talk about the strategic implications around OpenStack
applications.  My understanding (partly based on this thread on the
dev list [1]) is that the foundation wants to foster better
relationships with ecosystems that already have lots of developers,
rather than appearing to compete with them by trying to build our own
niche ecosystem.

Having said all that, one of the reasons we chose to shut down our
specific working group is due to lack of participation.  Any ongoing
efforts are going to require wrangling some volunteers; this seems
like a good opportunity to re-brand the efforts and hopefully capture
the interest of some new folks.

[1]: http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-March/113362.html

-Christopher