[User-committee] Wrapping up App Dev Enabling WG

Christopher Aedo doc at aedo.net
Fri Mar 10 03:25:36 UTC 2017

Those of us still involved with the App Dev Enabling Working Group
have agreed it’s time to wrap up our efforts.  Last year we
experienced great participation from several different organizations
and were able to coordinate the Cloud Benchmark, First App guides,
along with the Guadalajara Hackathon. In Barcelona we came up with
some priority efforts[1] to pursue before the next summit in Boston
and we have delivered improvements in developer.openstack.org.

This year however we have been talking about taking a more pragmatic
approach around finding application developers building things on top
of OpenStack clouds.  The hope is that if we work more closely with
the various platforms as a service that run beautifully on top of
OpenStack clouds, we can reach a wider audience and focus on enabling
them (and their respective PaaS’s).

We feel this mission represents a significant departure from where
this began (as the AppDev Ecosystem WG).  We think it makes sense to
retire this working group and suggest a new one that can focus closely
on cooperating with the PaaS options and their already existing
ecosystem of application developers.

[1]: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/app-eco-objectives

-Christopher