[User-committee] [Product] Draft of PWG Annual Report

Shamail Tahir itzshamail at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 00:55:01 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

I took the action item earlier today to draft our annual report (should be
less than one page).  We have to submit our final version by this Wednesday
(1/11) therefore I would appreciate if you can review it either tonight or
tomorrow.  I think we did a lot in 2016 but specifically set ourselves up
for a great 2017. :)

*PWG Annual Report:*

The Product Working Group (PWG) works to document/aggregate user needs in
the form of user stories, developers from participating companies help make
them a reality and we also aggregate release activities from various
projects and build a community generated roadmap.

We worked on documenting 13 user stories and moving three towards
implementation planning (Rolling Upgrades, Bare Metal Enhancements and High
Availability VMs) in 2016.  The working group has also started efforts to
simplify our user story submission workflow in order to increase the number
of contributors.  This simplified submission method will be crucial in the
upcoming year as the PWG anticipates an increase in user story submissions
from the User Committee (UC) working groups, operators meetup, and the
Forum.  The working group also collaborated with the OPNFV (Open Platform
for Network Function Virtualization) Polstar team to foster cross-community
collaboration on OpenStack user stories and workflow best practices.  The
team released two community-generated roadmaps in 2016 that highlight the
top (planned) user/ops centric features and themes for over 25 official
projects over multiple releases.  These roadmaps can be found at
http://www.openstack.org/roadmap.

As we look forward to 2017, PWG plans to participate in the planning for
the Forum as well as generate user stories from the event itself.  We will
continue to participate actively in the operators meetup and work with the
User Committee to help aggregate requirements from the other UC working
groups.  If you would like more information about the Product Working
Group, or to join us, please visit our OpenStack wiki page at
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/ProductTeam for additional details.

Shamail Tahir
t: @ShamailXD
tz: Eastern Time