[User-committee] UC candidacy

Shamail Tahir itzshamail at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 17:11:25 UTC 2017

Hello everyone,

I am sending this email to nominate myself as a candidate for the User
Committee.

I’d like to start by providing background on my involvement in the
OpenStack community… I joined our community about 3 years ago and
participate as co-chair for the Product WG[1], a core-reviewer for Operator
Tags[2], lead the ISV enablement sub-team in the Enterprise WG[3],
co-chaired the AUC recognition WG[4], work on SuperuserTV[5], and also
contribute in the Interop WG[6] (formerly called DefCore).  At IBM, I am a
Product Manager for our Private Cloud as a Service offering that is an
OpenStack Powered Platform.  I have also been a technologist and
systems/network engineer in previous roles.

The user committee has been critical in the enablement of our user
community and for sharing our feedback with the upstream and overall
community (through the user survey).  I am glad we are finally increasing
the number of UC members to help the existing UC members with the workload
since all of them have other responsibilities as well.  I will outline some
of the areas I would like to pursue as a UC member but, for the most part,
I would like to continue the phenomenal work being done by the current
committee and help them by sharing the workload!

I think the User Committee should focus on continuing the collaboration
with the technical committee to ensure parity (in governance) and to bridge
platform objectives between the user and technical communities of
OpenStack, provide aggregated user feedback into the upstream community,
and foster greater collaboration between its working groups.

Some specific tasks I would like to help with as a UC member in 2017:

   - Forum planning, facilitation, building a plan on how to share the
   summary, and tracking our community progress against the outcomes from the
   event
   - Re-energize the operator tags efforts and also determine if there are
   improvements that can be made to the OpenStack Project Navigator to further
   its goals of educating new/potential users of OpenStack clouds.
   - Work with UC WGs and project teams to make on-boarding of OpenStack
   clouds a simpler process for new users and organizations

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/ProductTeam

[2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Operations/Tags

[3] https://www.openstack.org/isv

[4] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/AUCRecognition