[User-committee] UC candidacy

Melvin Hillsman mrhillsman at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 06:10:48 UTC 2017

Please consider this email my self-nomination to the User Committee.

I began my OpenStack experience as an OpenStack Support Engineer, focused
on succeeding technically while providing excellent service and support.
Since initially engaging with OpenStack, I became extremely passionate
about its success in every market across the globe. In just under two years
I have succeeded in creating an OpenStack Meetup in Houston, TX, becoming
one of the leaders of the Ops Meetups Team, and am currently leading the
reboot of the OsOps Team.

I will dedicate my time on the User Committee to building on the strong
foundation established before me with a focus on bringing further
efficiencies in channels of communication, aiding in adoption, and
facilitating transformative growth that ensures OpenStack serves its users
for years to come.

My candidacy for the User Committee is rooted in these words from Jimmy
Carter, "..I do whatever I can, wherever I am, whenever I can, for as long
as I can with whatever I have to try to make a difference."

My platform is based on efficiency and effectiveness; I want to improve the
current system. As a member of the User Committee I hope to make a
measurable difference through a three-pronged approach:

   1.

   Feedback - I believe that the greatest strength of OpenStack is the
   community. I will work to forge stronger relationships with small, medium,
   and large enterprises, academia, and other technology and economic sectors
   to bring their knowledge, experience, concerns, and ultimately their voice
   to the OpenStack community in a fair and consistent manner.
   1.

      Measurables
      1.

         Visible model for feedback
         2.

         Metrics around this model (examples include but not limited to - #
         of participants, # of user stories generated, # of user
groups engaged, NPS
         scoring)
         3.

         Forum (success criteria/metrics)
         2.

   Adoption - One of the joys of working on an open-source project is
   seeing it used broadly. Successful strategies for increasing adoption is
   not only the responsibility of the technology being adopted but also the
   adopter. It is important to keep, establish, and encourage clear lines of
   communication between those with the authority to adopt OpenStack and the
   community which develops and uses OpenStack.
   1.

      Measurables
      1.

         Engage with at least 3 C-Level/Director/VP decision makers who
         have adopted OpenStack to understand their reason for
adopting OpenStack
         2.

         Confirm OpenStack has met their reason and barring any legal
         restrictions generate a case study (encourage others to adopt
- new users)
         3.

         Connect with users who are not fully utilizing OpenStack, identify
         barrier(s); 20% of workload vs 100% of workload running in OpenStack
         (encourage others to adopt - existing users)
         3.

   Innovation - In order to succeed in the ever changing world of
   technology a software needs to not only grow in maturity and sustain itself
   in the current market but also work to explore, motivate, and rally around
   ways to increase its install base with existing and future users. Having
   the opportunity to work closely with users, application developers, and
   operators allows the User Committee to hopefully spark ideas and innovation
   in OpenStack.
   1.

      Measurables
      1.

         Identify at least 3 projects that have a small to medium install
         base and need more visibility and feedback to mature
         2.

         Identify at least 3 projects that do not have a small install base
         and need more visibility and feedback to mature
         3.

         Work with identified projects to move at least 3 levels in any
         area of the tags that determine maturity

As a member of the User Committee, I will be an effective advocate in
improving communication, enabling adoption, and encouraging innovation that
improves the OpenStack experience. I want to thank you all for your
consideration and taking to time to review my candidacy.

--
Kind regards,

Melvin Hillsman
Ops Technical Lead
Rackspace | OpenStack Innovation Center

mrhillsman at gmail.com
work: (210) 312-1267
mobile: (210) 413-1659
http://rackspace.com http://osic.org

Learner | Ideation | Belief | Responsibility | Command