[User-committee] User Survey update: 2H plans & content

Heidi Joy Tretheway heidijoy at openstack.org
Fri Sep 30 22:52:46 UTC 2016

Hello User Committee group!

I wanted to give you an in-depth update on the User Survey coming this cycle.

TL;DR
New online survey analysis tool! Be your own data scientist, apply your own data filters, survey tool offers live data feed for you to dig deeper.
This cycle’s user survey is shorter & focused on deployments only; it’s a short “snapshot in time” (top 10 charts). Full-length survey returns next cycle.

Overview:
The 2016-02 User Survey is substantially different from prior surveys. Our focus this cycle is to enable the community to “be your own data scientist” by providing various demographic and production-stage filters across our numeric data from the 2015-02 and 2016 surveys. This survey tool can be found at openstack.org/survey-report, and we are highlighting its features at the Barcelona Summit in Superuser magazine.

In the 2016-01 survey, we surveyed more than 1600 community members and 400 people contributed deployment information. We produced a 60-page report with more than 70 charts analyzing 54 questions from the user survey and more than 1,000 comments from the community.

In addition to the main focus of our 2016-02 User Survey communications—the online survey analysis tool—we will also produce a streamlined report with selected charts, intended to update the most critical data analysis and focus on deployments. We’ve found that many companies in our ecosystem cite these charts in presentations and we saw them in presentations at virtually every OpenStack Day this year.

In the 2016-02 survey, we asked everyone who had logged a deployment in 2015 or 2016, as well as other users with deployments, to log or update their deployments. The survey they answered was a stripped-down version of the User Survey with far fewer questions. It focused only on deployment information and a few select demographics.

The 2016-02 User Survey report, like the other reports, is a snapshot in time about a defined set of data (User Survey responses from the second half of 2016). By contrast, the online survey analysis tool is a dynamic data set, constantly populated by new survey responses, and it groups answers for the 2016 surveys into one set. This can provide a more accurate picture: for example, a user who said they had a project in test phase in the first half of 2016 might now indicate that the project is in production/full operational use. The survey data in the online analysis tool will reflect that update.

The 2016-02 User Survey report snapshot will look more like a “highlights” reel compared to the full User Survey report, which will return for the 2017-01 cycle prior to the Boston Summit. In this cycle, the report will include a 1,000-word feature article distributed on openstack.superuser.com; approximately 10 charts focusing on the data most critical to our community; and a downloadable PDF with these findings hosted at openstack.org/user-survey. It could also possibly produce a short highlights video like last cycle.

Any questions or comments on this? Please direct them to me! Thanks for your fantastic input & for answering the survey.

Heidi Joy Tretheway
Senior Marketing Manager, OpenStack Foundation
503 816 9769 <tel:503 816 9769> | Skype: heidi.tretheway <https://webapp.wisestamp.com/sig_iframe?origin=mac-mail&signature_id=5499768844845056&t=0.9726545857097719#>
 <http://linkedin.com/in/heiditretheway>  <http://twitter.com/heiditretheway>  <http://www.openstack.org/>