[User-committee] Efficiency of WGs?

Edgar Magana edgar.magana at workday.com
Wed Sep 21 04:54:44 UTC 2016

Flanders,

This is awesome!

Erin and Jimmy,

Please, add these details to the UC session that you have extended.

Edgar

From: David F Flanders <flanders at openstack.org>
Date: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 5:53 PM
To: user-committee <user-committee at lists.openstack.org>
Cc: Edgar Magana <edgar.magana at workday.com>, Shilla Saebi <shilla.saebi at gmail.com>, Jon Proulx <jon at csail.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: [User-committee] Efficiency of WGs?

Dear WG and UC chairs,

As per the UC's request, below is a proposed Title and Abstract for an additional session at the Barcelona Summit.  Amendments, suggestions and agenda items most welcome, I've attempted to summarise this thread via the 'proposed agenda items" below, please do add additional items in reply if I've missed your point.

Title: Efficiency of working groups - working together to advance the community leadership of the user committee.

Primary Audience: Working Group Chairs and Regular WG attendees.
Secondary Audience: Any community member looking to participate and/or hep organise a user-committee working group.

Abstract:  Running a Working Group which represents one of the many users of the OpenStack community is not a trivial task, especially when best practices with regards to the open principles are observed.  This session will be lead by the User Committee and attended by Working Group chairs to discuss "good practice" in how to run a working group which has been approved by the User-Committee.

Proposed agenda items:
- Goal setting methodologies by chairs for each cycle, buy-in, tracking, deliverable, shared ownership by WG.
- User Committee engagement with WGs and leadership role of UC.
 - Good practice for running F2F meetings at Summit: 2-3 session to assure outcomes, social gatherings, etc.
 - Recruitment of new members.
 - Timezones and cultural considerations.
 - International perception and foreign language member participation.
 - Communication between WG co-chairs and UC chairs.
 - Input by WGs into Blueprints, working with the TC/PTLs in cycle planning.
- Sub-teams/activities in WGs and/or new WGs... to sub-WG or not to sub-WG... aka WG scope.
- Joint midcycles with other WGs?  Organised by the UC?
- Co-located WG meetings, i.e. WGs with overlapping membership to meet after one another?
- WG Co-Chairs: different regions and remits? EU+USA+APAC?
- WG meeting preparation: calendar items, call for agenda items, use of etherpads, wiki updates, email to user-committee, agreed open meeting channel (voice vs irc), etc
 - WG meeting runtime: irc meeting bot, agenda with note taking, recorded actions, reminder of overall objectives for cycle, etc
 - WG post-meeting remit: summary of meeting posted to user-committee mailing list, list of follow up actions per member name and suggested ETA, etc.

Naturally, most of the above cannot be covered in a single hour so I'll leave it up to the UC and WGs to place +1s next to the items which they feel are of most significance.

Kind Regards,

Flanders