[User-committee] [PublicClouds-WG] [Scientific-WG] RCUK Scientific Cloud workshop (Research Funding Councils UK)

David F Flanders flanders at openstack.org
Thu Nov 17 22:40:09 UTC 2016

Dear European Public Cloud Providers,

I wanted to quickly make you'll aware of this forthcoming event in London
where several of the Research Councils in the UK will be meeting to discuss
the use of public clouds in Academia:

 https://www.eventbrite.com/e/rcuk-cloud-working-group-workshop-tickets-
27722389413

The agenda is below and represents an excellent opportunity for public
clouds providers to be heard in regards to the need for OpenStandards and
common *simple* cloud APIs.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yYZELoJKQQZMcyedVsC7j2PCERsYd
BXt_pMCI3nKM68/edit

​The RCUK represents a very significant amount of government money which
will be spent in the UK, alongside the Horizon2020 funding.  ​

As most of you will know, OpenStack is now the most distributed cloud
datacentre in Europe with over 26 datacentres being deployed by 21
different companies.

I believe it is important that the research funding councils hear this
message as UK law requires OpenStack options to be considered on equal
footing with proprietary offerings.

https://youtu.be/t8IiULAPKwo?t=14m14s

I hope several of you are able to pass this email onto your bosses and
business managers and encourage them to participate.

Kind Regards,

Flanders

--
Flanders | OpenStack Foundation | Community Manager (Cloud Application
Communities)