[User-committee] Improving developer.openstack.org

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Sat Nov 12 02:24:24 UTC 2016

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 5:41 PM, Christopher Aedo <doc at aedo.net> wrote:

> In Barcelona one high priority goal for the App Dev Enablement
> (formerly App Ecosystem) WG was to improve developer.openstack.org
> (etherpad from this meeting can be found at
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/AppEco_WG_BCN)
>
> Under that topic, Alejandra, Olaph, Stephano, Gonzalo, Michael Jenkins
> and Piet were planned to be involved in the effort.  Discussing this
> is on the agenda for our meeting next Monday, and I'm sending this
> note to you all (as well as to the user committee mailing list) to ask
> that you join us if possible.
>
> The team meets weekly on Mondays at UTC 22:00 (2:00PM PST),
> alternating IRC and phone meetings; this next meeting will be on the
> phone.  Check our wiki page for call-in details
> (https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/App_Dev_Enablement_Working_Group)

Sorry I can't make this one, but wanted to say I am available on this list
for any help you need understanding how the developer.openstack.org site is
currently put together.

Analytics:
The landing page for the API docs at
http://deeloper.openstack.org//api-guide/quick-start/index.html
gets about 800-1000 page views on weekdays, with half that traffic coming
from Google. I can't figure out the stats for the landing page itself right
now but I'm sure Allison Price at the Foundation can.

Content:
Currently the index.html for developer.openstack.org is written in
https://github.com/openstack/api-site/blob/master/www/index.html with
Jinja2 templates.

The "firstapp" source files are in api-site as well but I've been
encouraging teams to move it out to individual repos to avoid the
maintenance headache of conditional formatting and lack of reviews in the
centralized repo.

We are moving to an AFS-backed web content serving system at
developer-beta.openstack.org. That move should enable HTTPS.

Hope this info helps -
Anne

> -Christopher

Anne Gentle