[User-committee] [scientific-wg] A home for new working group documentation

Stig Telfer stig.openstack at telfer.org
Tue Nov 1 09:35:02 UTC 2016

> On 1 Nov 2016, at 08:39, Tom Fifield <tom at openstack.org> wrote:
>
> On 01/11/16 16:29, Stig Telfer wrote:
>> Hi All -
>>
>> I am looking for a place to contribute and maintain the Scientific WG’s OpenStack/HPC studies (in RST format).
>>
>> Would it be appropriate to put them into an OpenStack repo alongside (eg) the Product WG’s user stories?  Is there an established process for achieving that, if so?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> Stig
>
> Hi Stig,
>
> I'll ignore the question about the "best" place to put things for the moment, as I just wanted to provide some quick information in case the chosen route was to make your team's own repository.
>

> Generally the guide to making a repo is at:
>
> http://docs.openstack.org/infra/manual/creators.html
>
> However, for UC-governed projects and teams such as ScientificWG you should edit "user-committee-repos.yaml", rather than "projects.yaml".
>
> Have done this a couple of times recently, so let me know if you need any help :)
>

> I'll waits for wiser people to chime in about docs vs productteam vs own repo question first, but one question: do you have an example of the kind of document you're looking to host? Also, what is the lifecycle for such a document?
>

> Regards,
>

> Tom

Thanks Tom -

For example, I have the documents in rendered form hosted on my own site:

http://www.stackhpc.com/category/virtualisation.html
http://www.stackhpc.com/category/bare-metal.html
http://www.stackhpc.com/category/data.html
http://www.stackhpc.com/category/networking.html
http://www.stackhpc.com/category/workloads.html

The intention is that contributors and WG members might reuse the content for blog posts at their own institutions.

With the rapid pace of development of OpenStack these studies will soon go stale, so there were plans discussed to have work sessions at the summit (forum?) to keep them up to date.

Best wishes,
Stig