[User-committee] [app] OpenStack Apps Community, several suggestions how to improve collaboration

Igor Marnat imarnat at mirantis.com
Mon May 23 11:02:22 UTC 2016

Chris, Kevin,
thank you for your support! I left several comments below. Let us now start
working with App Catalog team and openstack-dev community and discuss next
steps to implement the plan described in [0].

I also added couple of steps to [0] inspired by comments from Chris on QA
and CI/CD process for apps.

> > We can have two workflows, one for Official/Supported/Curated apps which
> are
> > contributed using approach #2. At the same time for another category of
> > applications #1 will work just fine, ensuring that there are many
> > applications in the catalog and there are customers/consumers who'll
> benefit
> > from it.
> >

> I think this is helping make it clear that you are not proposing
> catalog content will be kept out if some committee does not deem it
> worthwhile - only that "official/supports" assets would face more
> scrutiny.  I agree with this, and it matches what we've been talking
> about in the Community App Catalog for such things.

Exactly. We can pursue two goals here.

One is to help to apps developers who want to invest some time and effort
into QA, CI/CD, documentation process, helping their users to get support
from apps developers should users have any questions/issues about these
apps. This is somewhat more time/effort consuming process, but as a result
users will get apps of more transparent and predictable quality.

Second is to help to apps developers who has some useful apps to share but
don't have time/dedicated resources to follow official approach. Providing
them an ability to share their apps using lightweight approach would allow
to interested users to use these apps and hopefully to help developers to
elaborate/improve them.

General idea is not to limit anyone with new frameworks/tools/guidance, but
to have these tools in place for those in OpenStack community, apps
developers and apps users who wants to use them.

Having a feedback loop between these three parts (OpenStack community,
OpenStack apps developers and apps users) seems to be a benefit for all
parts involved.

> > By the way, one of the open questions where Foundation can potentially
> help
> > here is HW infra for CI/CD for apps development. None of the apps
> published
> > in the catalog so far has CI/CD associated with it.
>
> I think the issue here is that the apps do not have a defined testing
> framework.  The existing OpenStack Infra could support checks for
> things like Murano apps, we would just need to work out how to test
> these applications.
>
> I am really glad you started this thread and am in full support of the
> initiative, but there's a huge piece lacking here around the testing.
> Providing a CI/CD pipeline to app developers would be great, and we
> already have an amazing pipeline available to us.  The issue is that
> writing tests are hard, and coming up with a generic approach that
> works for anything in the app catalog is impossible (i.e. murano tests
> would look very different from glance tests).
>
> Are there some great documentation resources we can point Murano
> developers to for how to test Murano packages/apps?  That seems like
> the place to start from my perspective, and that would better inform
> the conversation around creating this CI/CD environment.

Chris,
good point, QA process for apps is a very important and complicated topic.
I added several items to [0] about it. It'll require more discussions and
work not only for N cycle but rather for O as well.

However, very generic and high level description of what we can start with
could be split in five parts:

1. Documentation. Put together documentation and best practices of how to
check the quality of software asset for Heat, Murano, Glance and TOSCA apps
together with their teams. Each of the projects should have some
internal/embedded ways of checking integrity of the image, syntax checks,
unit tests, ... We can at least provide to apps users and apps developers
information about these ways.

2. Internal/existing checks. Each of the Heat, Glance, Murano and
TOSCA should already provide some internal/embedded checks allowing to
verify integrity and quality of their apps. Checksums, syntax checks,
package/image integrity, etc. - something should already exist in each of
the projects. We can start with this, documenting these steps as a part of
CI/CD pipeline for each kind of apps separately.

3. HW to run CI/CD (for now - #2) on. We in Murano have a team working on
Murano apps for Community App Catalog. This team works now not only on apps
but also on creation of CI/CD for Murano apps. As a first step we'll use
our own HW as third-party CI. Next steps are to be discussed with involved
parts, including core teams (Heat, Murano, Glance, TOSCA, ...) and apps
developers.

4. Having discussed with core teams #1 and #2 we'll probably identify
missing parts. We'll need to discuss with them addition of these missing
parts to their roadmaps (integration tests, some tools for verification of
software assets, ...)

5. Verification of functionality provided by workloads automated by
corresponding apps in the catalog (databases, operating systems, k8s,
gerrit, jenkins, web servers, ....). This is the most complicated part. I
think that for apps which are developed in partnership with workloads
providers such a verification could be developed together with their dev
teams as it requires a lot of expertise in corresponding domain. To be
discussed.

BTW, does App Catalog team have some HW resources available to add some
jobs checking #2 or we need to start looking for such a hardware?

Let's start working on #1-#4 with App Catalog team, openstack-dev community
and core teams of Heat, Murano, Glance and TOSCA. Meanwhile on a background
we'll be figuring out how to approach #5, it seems it'll require a lot of
time and discussions.

Does it make sense?

[0]  https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/OpenStackAppsCommunity