[User-committee] [app] OpenStack Apps Community, several suggestions how to improve collaboration

Sun, Yih Leong yih.leong.sun at intel.com
Tue May 17 15:42:56 UTC 2016

The discussion of "what is an OpenStack app" also came out in the App Ecosystem group.
It is great if we can agree on a definition across different working groups.

An OpenStack application:

1.      is an application that can be executed on an OpenStack cloud OR

2.      is an application that utilize any of the OpenStack services

For (2), an application can be "decomposed" into multiple components where they are still "executed/deployed" on existing on-prem virtualization environment, however, one of the component can utilize an OpenStack service (e.g. Swift) by calling the swift api to read/write object storage.

It is not necessary that an OpenStack "must" lives in apps.openstack.org. This restricted definitions of an app.
However, an OpenStack App "can be" listed in apps.openstack.org for wider community to consume.

It is not necessary that an OpenStack "must" be either Murano, Heat, Glance, TOSCA template.
However, an OpenStack "can be" defined/orchestrated using Murano, Heat, Glance, TOSCA.