[User-committee] Discrimination and the Code of Conduct

Lauren Sell lauren at openstack.org
Fri May 6 21:15:32 UTC 2016

Hi Michael,

Yes, the diversity committee had also proposed some changes to the code of conduct, but the progress stalled out a few months ago. Cindy Pallares put quite a bit of effort into it the end of last year, using the Django community code of conduct as an example, and you can see her work here: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/CoC

I think some of the changes you are suggesting might be reflected in the code of conduct we developed specifically for the Summits (more examples of offending behaviors, explanation around potential penalties and a clear path to report any issues):
https://www.openstack.org/summit/austin-2016/code-of-conduct/

If you (or any other interested community members) have the time, I think the diversity committee would welcome your help updating the community code of conduct. The next steps are to finalize any updates or changes, socialize it with the broader community for feedback (most likely the Foundation and diversity committee mailing lists) and then propose any substantial changes to the Board for approval (since the code of conduct is referenced in the bylaws). We talked about it briefly during a BoD meeting earlier this year, so the Board is expecting that proposed changes might be coming their way.

Thanks,
Lauren